Friday, September 3, 2010

Consensus

What does consensus mean? Merriam-Webster defines the term in the following ways

1. a: a general agreement; unanimity
b: the judgment arrived at by most of those concerned
2. group solidarity in sentiment and belief.

Now these definitions themselves give a range of possibility for one to use this term. It is this ambiguity in the definition of the term itself that has led me to believe that this term is often used to misrepresent, either intentionally or unintentionally, the true opinion on an issue.

I saw this term used a lot in my Religious Studies classes during my time at university. I will never forget my Pauline Literature class where my professor said that there was a consensus opinion among Religious Scholars that Paul did not actually write much of what the Bible attributes to him. Now I do not agree with that; however, I am under no delusions of grandeur and do not consider myself a scholar. I did go to other professors to gauge their opinion on the issue and found out that there was both agreement and opposition to that "consensus".

Another professor that is near and dear to my heart, and also apparently my new BFF was fond of saying that there are not a lot of issues in the world of Religious Studies where there is scholarly consensus. It seems as though everyone is very entrenched in their beliefs, and opinions on these various issues. And it is rare that anyone is able to put forth evidence that is able to convince anyone to change their opinion. We can think of the notable exception of the Tel Dan Stele; thank you Kenneth Kitchen.

It is quite clear that different people have different understandings of what qualifies as a consensus. I shudder every time I hear the word, and I always raise a skeptical eyebrow (or would if I could).

At what point does something become a consensus?

People need to come to the realization that there are differing opinions on most everything. And just because someone holds a different opinion on something than you do that does not make them a bad person ... well sometimes it does.

4 comments:

  1. looks like Dave is missing university life already! Miss you David Kristopher Wilson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasn't SJOT publishing Kenneth Kitchen's article on the Tel Dan Stele, more to cover their asses because Thompson and Lemche wrote a terribad article that if had gone unaddressed would have caused serious damage to their reputation...

    Either way I don't think Thompson and Lemche changed their opinion. They are still extreme minimalists... along with their buddy Dever.

    (Too many Billy A classes)


    In that case of food though... when 3 more or people think something is delicious then I think that is consensus there.

    -J

    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Tel+Dan+Stele
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Consensus+among+delicious+cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off; Lauren my mom said the same thing.

    -J: while it is likely true that Thompson, Lemche, Dever, and Davies never changed their opinion I do not think that it is overly presumptuous to believe that some may have been swayed by Kitchen's article. With regards to the publication of Kitchen's article in the SJOT I do not know whether it was to cover up the memory of Thompson and Lemche's article or whether it was because Kitchen's article was so overwhelming in its authority. Either way I do agree that it would have looked bad if the SJOT had not published Kitchen's article.

    It should also be noted that Kitchen's article in 1997, for the most part, has been the last word on the issue.

    And as someone that took 8 1/2 classes with Bill I dare say there is no such thing as too many Billy A classes.

    ReplyDelete